Monday, November 3, 2008

Arizona

In stake conference they referred to this story:

After the Mexican War, General Sherman was enlisted by President Zachary Taylor to survey the newly acquired lands of New Mexico, Arizona, and California, all of which proved to be disappointingly arid.

"Well, Captain," Taylor asked upon Sherman's return, "will our new possessions pay for the blood and treasure spent in the war?"

"Between you and me, General," Sherman replied, "I feel we'll have to go to war again." "What for?" Taylor asked, aghast. Replied Sherman: "To make 'em take the darn country back!"

3 comments:

Steve, Brie, Carson, & Landon said...

What's not to love about 92 degree weather in November, 120 degree weather in summer, the dry dry air, and dirt and rocks everywhere you look?! That's a good story.

katie kortman said...

Hilarious. And well I have only been to Tuscon, and I agree... Hope you guys don't dry up out there!

Megan said...

Brooke I got the shirt at Ross. It's actually a Junior's little shirt-dress, supposed to be worn over leggings. I thought it looked cute.