Sunday, December 14, 2008

Pizza on the grill

Pizza on the grill is fantastic. The crust is crisp but not too crisp. The sauce is hot. The cheese is melted. We heard about cooking pizza on a grill from Artisan bread in five minutes a day.  I made some dough a week and a half ago, made a loaf, and put the rest in the fridge.  It is fantastic after it has been sitting and fermenting for so long.  One of the main problems with homemade pizza is the crust tends to be soggy when you cook it in the oven.  The grill, however, can get much hotter which explains why the crust is so much better.  The crust can be cooked directly on the grates of the grill, but we usually cook it on our pizza stone.  Here is the result...




4 comments:

Melissapher said...

MMMM! That looks fabulous. Great photos!

Our landlord doesn't allow us to have a grill. Lame, hu? Instead I cook pizza in the oven for 20 at 375, then stick it in the broiler to get the added crispyness.

I don't make my dough, though. Trader Joe's all the way.

katie kortman said...

I have always wanted to do this! I wish we had a grill:(

The Frasers said...

That looks super yummy!

I love, love, love making homemade pizza. Sadly, we don't have a grill :(

Alyson Ryan said...

Looks amazing! We love cooking pizza on our stone too! We also love using pesto instead on marinara. Its really different, but really good. I am gonna have to try that dough recipe. This is so exciting.