Saturday, May 16, 2009

Memories all in one place

Ed has his finals next week and will then be finished with his first year of medical school.  It honestly couldn't have come sooner.  I knew that I wanted to give him something when he finished, but I had no idea what.  A friend of mine, Melissa, posted this a few months ago.  I knew it would be perfect.  I emailed Ed's family and friends and pulled together stories and different thoughts that people had about him over the years.  Melissa does custom bookbinding (as well as a TON of other things) and sells them in her etsy shop.  The book turned out beautiful.   I left a lot of it up to her discretion (she has amazing taste) and I was so excited when I picked it up from her earlier this week. She made it from cork and leather.  The cork is incredibly soft.  I've never felt anything quite like it... especially on a book.  I'm stealing her photos of it because lets be honest... hers are going to turn out a ton better than mine.




Don't you love it?

5 comments:

Brie Wheelwright said...

That was an awesome idea. Good job, Brooke! And congrats, Ed. Doesn't it feel great knowing we have the summer all to ourselves? Love it. Are you guys headed to Utah?

Melissapher @ IS•LY said...

I'm so happy you like it!! Thanks for asking me to make it, I had a lot of fun doing it.

katie k said...

nice idea! I love bookbinding too. I took a class at BYU and made a million books. STill have the supplies, but don't do it often. should though.

sarah marie. said...

brooke i'd love to do your hair..just let me know when you're in town

Jay and Jess said...

Brooke-- great idea! Next time, please email me. I have some fantastic stories about Ed... However, maybe they aren't appropriate for the book...